Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Mission
embrella is committed to creating a culture of inclusiveness, diversity, and acceptance where our employees, donors, families, and youth we serve feel safe, welcomed, valued, respected, and empowered.
embrella is committed to fostering an environment where its employees are afforded equal opportunities for professional advancement.
We do not discriminate against any of the following protected classes:
- Sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, or gender identity)
- National Origin
- Age (40 or older)
- (Dis)ability Status (including protected veteran)
- Genetic Information (including family medical history)
Or on any of the following non-protected classes, including but not limited to:
- Family Structure
- Marital Status
- Gender Expression
- Physical Attributes
- Political Views or Activity
- Socioeconomic Status
embrella’s Diversity, Equity,
and Inclusion Vision Statement
At embrella, we strive to create a diverse, inclusive, and equitable (DEI) workplace where all employees and volunteers, whatever their gender, race, ethnicity, national origin, age, sexual orientation or identity, education, or disability, feel valued and respected. We are committed to a nondiscriminatory approach and to providing equal opportunity for employment and advancement in our organization. We value the diverse life experiences and heritages of our employees. embrella is committed to fostering a work environment where all voices are valued, heard, and respected.
To provide informed, authentic leadership for cultural equity, embrella strives to:
- See DEI as part of our mission and essential to the well-being of our staff and the communities we serve.
- Acknowledge and dismantle any inequities within our policies, systems, programs, and services.
- Explore underlying assumptions that interfere with our organization’s inclusiveness and leadership and the communities we serve.
- Advocate for and support board-level thinking about how systemic inequities impact our organization’s work.
- Practice and encourage transparent communication in all interactions.
- Commit time and resources to expand the diversity of leadership within our board, staff, and committees.
- Encourage all employees to lead with respect and tolerance and embrace these notions in workplace interactions and through everyday practices.
embrella abides by the following action items to help promote diversity, equity, and inclusion in our workplace:
- Pursue cultural competency throughout our organization by creating valuable learning opportunities and formal, transparent policies.
- Improve our cultural leadership by creating and supporting programs and policies that foster leadership that reflects the diversity of society.
- Expand support for underrepresented populations within our communities by collaborating with other nonprofit organizations committed to DEI.
- Present and/or develop training sessions on DEI to provide information and resources internally and for the communities we serve.
- Develop a system for being more intentional and conscious of bias during the hiring, promoting, or evaluating process. Train our hiring teams on equitable practices.
- Include a salary range with all public job descriptions.
- Advocate alongside DCF’s Race Equity Initiative for public policy that challenges systems and policies that create inequity, oppression, and disparity.