JOB TITLE: Pathways to Academic and Career Exploration to Success
DEPARTMENT: Scholarship Department
DATE: January 2019
REPORTS TO: Director of Scholarship Programs
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
POSITION SUMMARY (Short summary of the essential purpose of the job)
The Pathways to Academic and Career Exploration to Success (PACES) Coach is responsible for supporting youth in foster care, ages 16-21, in their successful transition to and retention in post-secondary education, career technical education and workforce readiness. The PACES Coach will address academic needs for high school students in this population, assist with college and job applications and serve as a support system as these students continue in their adolescent development. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, maintaining a case load of 27 students, meeting regularly with students and connecting them to appropriate regional education and employment resources, maintaining student records, troubleshooting student difficulties and concerns, building relationships with post-secondary school contacts, employment sector contacts, Child Protection and Permanency (CP&P) caseworkers, adolescent providers and regional school districts, and developing workshops to assist in students’ skill development.
The employee must be able to provide accurate and clear descriptions of all scholarship programs administered by embrella. This includes answering telephone and email inquiries, as well as conducting presentations as needed.
The above listed job duties are a brief description for this position. The PACES Coach may be required to perform other tasks that are deemed necessary by the Director of Scholarship Programs.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE SKILL REQUIRED (Minimum education and experience needed to perform the job adequately)
- Master’s degree required in education, school counseling, or a related field
- Highly organized and detailed-oriented
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge of counseling theories in practice
- Knowledge of post-secondary education funding and college application process
- Knowledge of employment readiness skills
- Manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Maintain positive working relationships with others
- Proficient in Microsoft Office with emphasis on Microsoft Word and Access preferred
- Must have reliable transportation and automobile insurance coverage as a commercial vehicle, or other designated coverage that allows staff to transport adolescents. embrella will provide a reimbursement for additional costs accrued due to this change.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE SKILL DESIRED:
- Experience working with adolescents ages 16-21
- Knowledge of special education services and resources
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (Duties that occupy a major portion of time and importance in the job)
- Facilitate bi-weekly meetings with adolescents at student’s requested locations, including but not limited to resource home, transitional living program, independent living setting, on-campus at postsecondary institution, CP&P local office, libraries or other public settings, and weekly contacts with adolescents on caseload via phone, email or in-person
- Participate in group conferences with informal and formal supports to best match student needs with services at designated settings
- Assist students in developing academic skills and behaviors that lead to admission and retention in a post-secondary institution, such as guiding conversations on academic progress, financial costs and best-fit
- Coordinate appropriate educational testing opportunities for student, whether for supplemental instruction, college admissions preparation or standardized testing
- Advocate for student when supplemental instruction or tutoring is needed and connect student to resources
- Maintain complete files for all students, including documentation of all communication
- Establish and maintain a professional relationship with students, providers, education and employment related contacts and the Department of Children and Families
- Connect students to contacts, such as college retention programs, resources such as the New Jersey Career Assistance Navigator (NJCAN), and professionals on campus to promote engagement
- Aid in exploratory practices for education and employment options based on career interests or additional education advancement, such as job and/or college fairs
- Facilitate internships, job shadowing, volunteer or community service options to enhance adolescent’s employment performance
- Assist student in the completion of applications for postsecondary education programs, financial aid or employment applications
- Provide opportunities for students to develop skills such as communication, teamwork, networking, critical thinking and professional etiquette
- Serve as an informational liaison for embrella scholarship programs
- Conduct events and presentations to promote scholarship programs, embrella services, and primarily, the PACES Program model and tools for transitioning adolescents
- Maintain initiative in professional development by staying aware of statewide and regional trends in youth employment and education best practices
ADA SPECIFICATIONS (Physical demands that must be met in order to successfully complete the essential functions of the job.
This position is primarily sedentary and is located in the embrella office. There may be a minimal amount of lifting up to 20 lbs. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear in person and on the telephone. The employee is required to stand, walk, sit and reach above the shoulders. This job requires the staff person to work evenings as needed.
embrella is an equal employment opportunity employer and employs individuals based upon job qualifications regardless of race, color, creed, religion, sex, ancestry, genetic testing, sexual orientation or affectation, age, veteran or military status, national origin, disability, atypical heredity cellular or blood trait or any other protected classification as established by applicable laws.
To apply, email a resume, cover letter and answers to the (below) filter questions to Director of Scholarship Marjorie Blicharz.
PACES (Pathways to Academic and Career Exploration to Success) Coach Filter Questions
- Do you have experience working with young adults, ages 17-21?
- Briefly describe post-secondary options available for adolescents. Please include education and employment preparation for these options.
- Briefly describe your knowledge of post-secondary education funding, including federal and state grants.
- Briefly describe your experience conducting presentations for various group sizes.
- How would you develop a positive working relationship with a resistant adolescent?